Friday, April 15, 2016

Planing the walk-in closet

I have a pretty good idea of what I want for our walk in closet. I want good storage and a full length mirror, but I also want some drama! I want this space to be a hidden gem, something that makes me smile every morning. Last night I sat down with a glass of wine to give the walk in closet a bit more thought.

There are two reasons why I would like to tackle this project as soon as we move in. In our current townhouse all of our clothes are in a PAX wardrobe which we are leaving here. Aside from the PAX we don’t have any storage furniture for clothes have no plans to purchase furniture for the master bedroom. The plan is to maximize the walk in closet so we don’t need to buy additional furniture for the bedroom. 

I also really want to do this right away because I always feel calmer when my bedroom is organized, even if other spaces in the house take more time to get right. Nothing beats, for me, the feeling of being able to find clothes in the 30 min I have before rushing out the door in the morning. And nothing makes me feel more confident in meetings than wearing a kick ass outfit.

So… organizing the closet is really a priority.
The original layout was a simple rectangle with double doors on one of the longer walls (love!) and shelves with a single hanging rod on the other three sides. Plus a lovely single light bulb in the ceiling. To get the space I picture in my mind, I’ve asked the builder to forgo the shelving on the wall directly opposite the double doors. I’ve also asked to add wiring for another ceiling fixture, centering these on the shorter sides of the space. We’ve asked to remove the light fixtures completely since we would be installing track lighting anyway.

Plan so far is to use Ikea drawer units (either STOLMEN or NORDLI, any suggestions as to which one would be better?) under builder installed single shelf and hanging rod combo on the short walls of the closet. Sorta like here (see my Pinterest board for links):
The second long wall (opposite the double door) will hold a full length mirror (or two). I’ve been eyeing the HOVET mirror from Ikea for years now and think it will be perfect for the walk in closet.

The piece de resistance will be the wallpaper/paint colour. I haven’t talked to hubs yet about this yet, so not sure if he will be on board, but I would LOVE to use a dramatic wallpaper on the two long walls, painting out the remaining two walls + ceiling the same colour as the wallpaper background.

I haven’t finalized what wallpaper to use, real or removable, and what design, but I want it to be bold. The rest of the house will be primarily white and cream, so I want to go all out with bold and dramatic for the closet. Just need to get hubs on board.

So far I’m thinking of something along the lines of:
Could anyone tell me what the wallpaper in the first image is?? I know I’ve seen it around a ton, just drawing a blank right now! A wallpaper I"m considering is:
HERE
I'm not completely in love with it, it's a little too masculine for what I had in mind. But it may be a good compromise to get the dramatic look and get hubs on board.
The small details will fall into place soon enough, for now I feel good about the direction where we're heading with the walk in closet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment